Proofreading is a difficult but essential process for all publications to go through, which saves time and money for the publisher and author, as well as preventing inconvenience at a later stage.
Typing errors, punctuation errors, layout mistakes, mislabelled pictures and incorrect formatting can be confusing and off-putting to the reader, and in the worst case scenarios can lead to misunderstandings and even legal complications. And much of the time these errors are a lot easier to overlook than you might expect, hence why some errors still go unnoticed during the typesetting and copy-editing procedures.
My role as a proofreader is to locate and rectify those small, subtle mistakes that have slipped through the net, and thus ensure your publication is as close to perfection as possible and achieves the best possible effect on all readers.
While proofreading your publications and documents, I will do my utmost to ensure elimination of the following:
- Errors in typing and spelling
- Incorrect or missing punctuation
- Incorrect paragraph formatting
- Clumsy or misleading word-breaks
- Inconsistencies in House Style
- Incorrect usage of rules, i.e. hyphens, em and en rules
- Incorrect column alignment
- Errors in running heads and page numbers
- Mislabelling of pictures, diagrams and illustrations
- Badly cropped or flipped images
- Spurious characters in OCR’d text
- Widows and Orphans
I will also raise queries where necessary and detail these on a separate sheet. I am able to proofread either blind or against copy, and can work with both hard and electronic copy, using programs such as paperlessproofs or Foxit Reader if necessary.
My proofreading services are open to:
- Typesetting Agencies
- Independent authors going down the self-publishing route
- Businesses producing brochures, reports, marketing materials, internal company documents or web copy
- ESL (English as a Second Language) students requiring fluency of English in their assignments (see separate section on Proofreading for Students)
If you have any further questions regarding my services please do not hesitate to email me via the form on the right.